The ridiculous reasons that the Bucs may not choose Mariota:
I still believe the Bucs will choose Mariota. I just can’t bring myself to say that they’re going to make the mistake of not choosing such a leader. But every sportswriter and sportscaster I read or hear is predicting it will be he whose name should not be mentioned. I’ve been a Bucs fan since the first game they played. So it matters to me. I still love football. I don’t love the culture that has grown up around it, but I so love the chess game aspect of football.
Here are the nonsense reasons for picking the other guy:
- Political decision; there are many FSU fans in the Tampa Bay area and they want Winston because, bless their little hearts, they don’t know any better. Such a decision would ignore the fact that Mariota has won multiple fan polls here in Tampa Bay
- Mariota is faster but speed doesn’t matter. If that’s true then nothing else matters and they should give me that job. It is a bonus ability that can make a big difference in big games
- Mariota is more accurate. I guess they think that doesn’t matter either
- Mariota has no history at all of stupid stuff. None. Nothing. Ever. I know, I know, doesn’t matter, right? Character doesn’t matter?
- This is one that does scare me: It is possible that Mariota has said, behind the scenes, that he really doesn’t want to come here. He may want to stay on the West Coast…closer to home. Or he may hope to go to the Eagles to play for his former coach. If this is the reason, we may not know it because no one is likely to admit it for many years
- The daddy complex. Derick brooks, Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith seem to have this ego driven disease. They think that they can mentor and mold the other guy and change him into a caring, conscientious adult (i.e. someone like Marcus Mariota). This is an ego thing; they will save him from himself and then get credit for it. Don’t get me wrong, I hope Winston will become the pro he could potentially be. I just don’t want him to be my team’s roll of the dice
- He does not have experience in a pro-style offense. This is the number one stupid reason not to pick Mariota. What does it take to adjust to playing in the NFL? Great athletic ability and superior intelligence. I rest my case